Spotlight Feature: Joy Gaines (Vintage Lovee 1988)
I am so excited to share this wonderful interview with you, I had a chance to sit down with my sister in Christ to gather some amazing insight on her business. Special thanks to Joy Gaines for giving me the opportunity to shed my spotlight on you!
1.When did you become interested in fashion?
Honestly, as a teenager I was not always interested into the latest fashion trends until I left for college. Fashion became an interest of mine around my early 20’s. It was so fascinating watching reality shows such as America’s Next Top Model and Project Runway. Moreover, vintage fashion has always been an interest of mine because of the unique patterns, material, colors and style. During my childhood I was always intrigued of these influential woman Coretta Scott King, Diana Ross, Gladys Knight and Dorothy Dandridge just to name a few.
2. Is there a meaning behind your brand name "Vintage Lovee 1988"
Vintage Lovee 1988 came to mind overnight after spending hours online trying to create a name I gave up. Honestly, after praying for a couple of days the name “Vintage Lovee 1988” came to me while I was surfing one of my favorite websites Pinterest. I have always been a lover of vintage fashion so the name was created with that thought in mind. While thinking about the name I wanted to make it different and unique so the 1988 came into play being the year I was born.
3. What do you want your customers to know when they are searching for quality vintage pieces?
When looking for vintage fashion it is important to understand how sizing works depending on the piece you are looking for. Vintage clothes are usually sized smaller than your normal size but it is important to try on the garment if possible. In addition, depending on the fabric for some it may feel itchy so you may want to try on the garment to see how it feels.
4. How many vintage items should a woman have in her closet?
Ordinarily women love fashion but a person has to have a love for vintage to wear it. Personally, not everyone will love vintage but if you are into vintage fashions having a few pieces in your closet is a must.
5. What are your favorite pieces in your collection?
|Founder & Owner|
My favorite pieces in my collection are my earrings, dresses and brooches. While vintage clothing is not for everyone, I enjoy dressing up with vintage fashion wear. While some vintage dresses can come off old fashion. My collection is tailored to my personality. Vintage jewelry is unique because of the patterns, colors, sizes and material used to make the jewelry. Depending how a person feels their jewelry should fit their personality.
6. When did you start your business?
Vintage Lovee 1988 was started in the spring of 2015. At first the business started as a hobby because of my love for vintage fashion. While the years progressed, that is when I decided a hobby could turn into a business.
7. What do you want your customers to know about your business?
Vintage Lovee 1988 offers unique apparel and accessories to women who value versatility, class, style and grace.
8. What has been your biggest highlight or monumental moment since you started your business?Since starting my business, the biggest highlight would be the opportunities to sell at festivals, conferences, pop-up shops and church events. While doing these events I am able to network and expand my knowledge as a business owner.